Saturday, July 30, 2011

Can you imagine the outrage and uproar if this was written about Jewish worshippers at the Wailing Wall??

Just imagine the world reaction and the official statements of condemnations by Western governments if this was written about Jewish prayers:  "I go to the ticket office, pay the entrance fee for foreigners and collect a hooded grey cloak to cover myself. The cloaks come in three sizes. A woman sitting there directs me towards the smallest size. The cloak stinks and I wonder when it was last washed and how many women have had to wear it in the sweltering summer heat. I put the cloak on over my clothes, pulling up the pointed hood to ensure my hair is covered. I enter the Umayyad mosque -- built on the site of a shrine dedicated to John the Baptist -- looking like a member of the Ku Klux Klan except dressed in grey, and carrying my shoes in my hand. I wander into the covered area where hundreds of people are praying, men in one area, women in another."   Would you want Muslims to write about churches that smell like urine?   And the invocation of the KKK was most absurd given the Christian background.  (thanks Nicholas)